AdiIRC is a free client available for Windows and is well-known for being lightweight and supports portable mode. Download is available from adiirc.com and this howto is based on version 2.3. From the download link, there is 32 or 64-bit options, as well as portable mode for each – if you don’t know if you have 64-bit, then stick with the 32-bit. This just covers the basic adding of the server and authentication, there are plenty of options to explore though.
1. After download and install, the initial screen looks like:
2. Next we’ll go to the actual server list:
3. Gotta name the network first:
4. Now for the good stuff – This assumes you’ve already got a registered nick:
5. Next we tell it where to connect to:
That is all for the filling in! The Channels tab is optional if you already have favorite channels you want to set for autojoin. Click save at the bottom and then back to the General tab for Connect.
There are some advanced features as well, such as authentication by SSL certificate and various different views. Explore the options!